Monday, August 25, 2008

Beijing Day 2-The EVIL Great Wall

Day 2
We woke up about 7:30am. I was dead tired. We hopped on a bus and headed to the Great Wall. You can see it winding through the mountains. Our guide gave us 3 hours and suggested we climb the hard side. The use of the word climb was Clue 1 that the wall was not going to be what I expected. When we arrived at the entrance I saw all these people in the distance on the wall headed up. Thats when I realized exactly what was involved. The Great Wall is a very misleading name. It really should be called the Great Steps of China. The Wall winds OVER mountains and these are the best preserved parts because only so many people are capable of walking over a mountain. Just to stand on the very first wall part takes quite a few steps. Anyway when we got to the first Gate we lost Cherise. She looked up at the 100's of steps needed to get to the second gate and gave up right there. She literally didnt make it past the concession stands and shops. But at least she stood on the wall. Cierra and I headed to the second gate which was about half way up the mountain. It was excruciating. The steps are irregular and very steep. Some are over a foot deep. I latched onto the rail and dragged my way up. I stopped ALOT on the way to the second gate. I probably would have quit but several old Asians passed me and I was ashamed. It was particularly galling to be passed by an old man with a cane. In my defense there were also many younger people of all races who gave up and turned around. Plus Chinese people encouraged me on the way up. They kept staring and then saying good job. I think they were proud to see a foreigner on their wall. Eventually I reached the second gate. Cierra had made it first. We rested for a bit but she refused to go on. I had to continue to the third gate by myself. My goal was to catch up to the old guy with the cane. I did make it to the third gate but I never saw the cane guy. He probably went around the whole damn mountain. I did bump into quite a few Japanese girls who wanted to take pictures with me. I am not sure they had ever seen a black person up close. Oh well I will be in some girls scrap book in Japan which is kinda cool. By the third gate my leg had a muscle spasm. My legs were shaking and my hands were going numb. So I headed back down (which was in itself a death defying trip. The Gaurdrails are made for short Asians and was too low to hold). I have never been more tired in my life but I really earned my I climbed the great wall t-shirt. I then came back to the hotel and slept for 4 hours. That's all for today folks. Tomorrow is the Forbidden City!

No comments: